Search This Blog

Friday, September 04, 2015

Labor Day Box On Ya!

Harvest at Lammas Day



Since I am in the habit of referring to December 26, the day after Christmas, as Boxing Day, the expression has taken on a life of its own.

Labor Day festivities approach the coming Monday, and....

we shall gather at me mother's,
me beautiful, me beeeyouuu-tiful mother's!
we shall gather at me mother's,
that be on the river of St. Claire!

I shall be picking her up on Labor Day Eve, and I shall be taking her back the day after Labor Day, or Labor Boxing Day.  How many "boxings" one could string together is unknown...
(My birthday, by the way, is the Feast of the Assumption Boxing Day.)

She-who-must-be-obeyed had Irish relatives who would visit after Christmas, and the common greeting was "Christmas Box on Ya!"


I am playing with using "Ash Wednesday" to denote 40 days before a date, and "Ramadan" to denote a full lunar month before some event.

I already split up the year into sections of 3 months:  Michaelmas, Hilary, and Trinity reflecting the scholastic year at Oxford, and having added Lammas to fill in as the patronym for the remaining season from June to September.
(It had been a toss up between "Lammas" and "Holy Peter in Chains!", but Lammas won.)

Thus, my calendar is divided somewhat after the manner of Scotland's Quarter Days, which similarly divide the year:  Candlemas (2 February), Whitsunday (15 May), Lammas (1 August), and Martinmas  (11 November).



--

No comments: